Education is a part of life. We all have had some sort of influence
from an educational stand point. Education is not just one thing. It is made up
of multiple things that in the end make something big happen. For me, education
didn’t just happen in the classroom it happened everywhere around me. Education
has allowed me to discover myself in a whole new way. I never thought I’d want
to be a teacher. It was just something that didn’t feel like me. But, my whole
idea on that changed when I started volunteering. It made me realize that you
can’t say you don’t like something until you try it out on your own. Now,
people will tell that you can’t do that. They will come up with multiple
excuses of how that career is not made for you. Personally, I have heard this
the most, “Teachers don’t make anything. You will be broke your whole life.”
The one thing that I have discovered throughout all my educational experiences is
that no matter what you do, if you aren’t happy you never will be. For those
who say education is an awful career they only see one perspective. They don’t
see the whole picture. But I will show you it.
Think
about when you were a little kid. Think of all the things you wanted to be and
do. When you were asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” you probably
listed ten things that came to your mind, from being a police officer to being
a superhero. No matter how ridiculous your answers were whoever had asked you
would just smile and nod their head. But, that all changes when you get ready
to go off to college. Everyone wants to know what you are going to do for the
rest of your life and being a superhero doesn’t cut it anymore. This was when everyone decides their opinion
of what you should is your only option. For myself, I had people telling me to
do this and not to do that. I had always known I wanted to help people, but unfortunately
that made my decision even harder. That’s
when I decided I was going to become a nurse.
I had made up my mind and everyone around was thrilled that I was going
into a career that not only was producing jobs, but that was also accompanied
by a pretty hefty paycheck. After
telling everyone that is what I wanted to do I began to feel not complete. That
I wasn’t really meant to become a nurse that it just wasn’t me. That is when I
began volunteering at Richard Gordon Elementary for an old teacher I had in
first and second grade. I was excited because I knew it’d be fun to work with
all the students and just feel like I was making a difference. Shortly after
volunteering I discovered that I nursing wasn’t meant for me, and that I could
help by making a difference in education.
When
you realize that you can change your mind and idea of what and who you think
you are over on experience it makes you think of your choices. Education isn’t
just black and white, it is the rainbow.
No comments:
Post a Comment