Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Comparing and Contrasting "Freedom Writers" and "Dead Poets Society"

Both schools that were portrayed in the movie are completely different. In the movie, "Freedom Writers" it portrays a inner city school in modern time. Where, "Dead Poets Society" is a all boys religious school and is set in the 60's. Also, they both had totally different images that they were meant to uphold. In the "Dead Poets Society" the school was meant to produce high functioning citizens. The goal of the school was to produce leaders such as, lawyers, doctors, and politicians. Where as in "Freedom Writers" they were lucky if half their students lived to graduate or made it without dropping out. They don't expect much and in return they don't receive much.

Gruwell and Keating are both passionate teachers that want their students to get the most out of education that they can. They both want their students to see their full potential, when the students themselves don't. One thing that makes them different is Gruwell had to make herself fit in with her students. She had to earn respect from them to get through to them. Where Keating had the respect, but he wanted his students to see that there is more to sitting and listening.

I've had a teacher more like Keating. A teacher that knew I had potential and found a way to unlock it. Not only did I have to work for it, but I also learned from it. I think Keating is more relatable because he's a teacher that can see through students. He knows their fears and can help them find their own voice. Where Gruwell had to prove herself to her students, her school, and herself.

1 comment:

  1. I to had a teacher like Mr. Keating. it is amazing when you come upon a teacher like that. I makes you realize what you want all your teachers to be like

    ReplyDelete