Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Using Details in Examples Worksheet

1. When I was five years old and still legally blind, I started school in a sight conservation class in the local public school on 135th street and Lenox Avenue. On the corner was a blue wooden booth where white women gave away free milk to black mothers with children. I used to long for some Hearst Free Milk Fund milk, in one of those cute little bottles with their red and white tops, but my mother never allowed me to have any, because she said it was for charity, which was bad and demeaning, and besides the milk was warm and might make me sick. 

  When I was a little girl and scared of the dark, I started to sleep with all the lights on in my room and would leave my door wide open to let any light from the hallway in.


2. Suddenly, I looked up, and there was a library lady standing over me. My mother's hands had dropped to her sides. From the floor where I was lying, Mrs. Baker seemed like yet another mile-high woman about to do me in. She had immense, light, hooded eyes and a very quiet voice that said, not damnation for my noise, but "Would you like to hear a story, little girl?"

    Suddenly, they were everywhere, and there I was being looked down upon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment